There are two main steps required to get Power BI Gold connected to Business Central.
- Install and configure the Power BI Gold apps in Business Central
- Install and configure the Power BI Gold content pack in Power BI
Part 1. Install and configure the Power BI Gold apps in Business Central
These steps ensure Business Central is ready to export data to Power BI for use in the Power BI Gold reporting packs.
- Install the Power BI apps from Business Central via App Source. The required web services will be created automatically after the installation.
- Go to Assisted Power BI Gold Setup and follow the prompts to configure the app.
- Take note of the user account that will be used to access your system from Power BI. You may want to setup a dedicated user for this.
- You'll need a user account with a Web Service Key to connect to your instance. Take note of the access key for this user.
- Get the oData URL for your instance. To do this navigate to Web Services list and copy the OData v4 URL from any web service entry.
- Remove any information after the /ODataV4/ part.
- Take note of your final OData URL.
|Web Service Access Key|
|oData Base URL|
Part 2. Install and configure the Power BI Gold app in Power BI
These steps install and configure the Power BI Gold app for your Power BI users to connect to Business Central.
- Navigate to the relevant Power BI Gold App you wish to install. Answer any prompts until Power BI creates a workspace for you.
- Go to the newly created Power BI Gold workspace. For this example, we have installed the Sales app.
- When prompted, hit Connect your data.
- You will now be prompted to enter in the connection information. Enter the OData URL you noted earlier. Then select Next.
- You will now be prompted to enter in your credentials using the Web Service Access Key noted earlier.
- Set Authentication Method to Basic.
- Enter your username, and Web Service Access Key as the password.
You've now connected Power BI to your Business Central system.